This Colt Open Top cartridge revolver is a .44 Henry rim fire caliber and is the first of the cartridge revolvers made by Colt.
Only 7,000 were produced between 1871 and 1872 and are highly sought by Colt collectors. This gun is in rare factory nickel finish with raised carved Mexican snake & eagle ivory grips, serial number 1642. An early gun that shipped Sept. 6, 1873 to Schuyler, Hartley and Graham, New York, New York.
Original nickel finish is confirmed by a factory letter (included) and the gun is in overall good condition with approximately 50% of the factory nickel retained, the balance a dark steel grey metal color. The action is good. The bore is good with some areas of erosion. Good markings. All serial numbers match including the wedge with all original parts. The cylinder is not numbered but consistent in condition with the balance of the gun and has approximately 90% of cylinder scene remaining.
The grips are good, showing a lot of wear, shrinkage and scorching on the edges from picking up pots from a camp fire. They show age cracking, graining and color but are well accomplished and very attractive. The grips are not listed in the letter, but are of the period and most likely dealer supplied. This actual gun is pictured in Bruce McDowell’s book; Colt Conversions and Other Percussion Revolvers.
The Gun shows a great deal of wear from use and carry and is very representative of South Western or Mexican usage. A really neat piece from the frontier era.Price $8,500.00